Friday, October 9, 2015

more second floor framing

I got the rest of the rim joists and blocking for the garage in place yesterday... on to framing the breezeway next.

I'm liking the way this looks.

This is one of the 6x6 posts I milled with my chainsaw last summer, from one of the little doug-fir trees I felled while clearing the hillside to prepare for Diablo's fall.

Getting the first of the breezeway beams into place. It gets pretty interesting lifting the heavier pieces of this building into place overhead when I'm working alone. I'm finding that, if I can just map out the intermediate steps and plan in resting points, I can get some pretty heavy beams into place as long as I can nudge one end  at a time upward. This one was sort of challenging because I didn't want to put any unnecesary nail holes in the post that would be exposed later.
 


There it is... the first breezeway beam nudged into place.

It's time to move on to the second breezeway beam and setting the rest of the floor joists tomorrow. I'm shooting for having the entire second floor framing complete by the end of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment