Thursday, April 23, 2015

Chipping away at the form-building work... I had about two hours between meeting work commitments, a monthly board-of-directors meeting, and an intramural volleyball game, so I ran out to the property and put together another piece of the board-form puzzle. This is the pier between the garage doors. It actually takes quite a bit of attention and effort to create a pleasingly-random-but-uniformly-textured effect.

Uniformly-random; striving for a uniform texture without creating a defined pattern. The little returns around the corners are intended to give some depth to the finish, so it doesn't just look like a two-dimensional facade stuck to the face of the wall. Nothing looks more architecturally-horrible to me than a brick or rock wall facing that ends abruptly at a corner, and I really don't want to risk creating that effect here.

Another view... mostly because I like angles. It will be fun to compare this one side-by-side with the concrete wall when it's done.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. And nice attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! ...I'm loving doing the finish work now, before the structure is even built.

    ReplyDelete